Saturday, January 12, 2013

My 40th Birthday

Today started as usual with a healthy breakfast that I brought from home....oatmeal and hard boiled eggs. We went down to see what was at the breakfast buffet and I added fresh fruit to that. Later when we took the kids down to breakfast, I ended up "helping" one of my boys with their belgium waffle. A little treat I felt wouldn't be a bad thing.
I had decided it would be fun to go to a thrift store and look around......why I was thinking that taking 4 boys shopping would be a good idea, is beyond me. It did not go well. They even got asked by the clerk to stop running around. How embarrassing! So my oldest took them out to the truck while I finished up. The bonus was though, that since it was my birthday I got a 20% discount on my purchase....woohoo! When I got done and got to the truck , all the boys were sullen and upset. They had gotten in trouble in the truck for messing around. They even smooshed a side of the cake that my husband had gotten me. I was very sad!
We went back to the hotel and had lunch and saw my husband for a brief minute to have cake for my birthday. No excitement, no fun.....just quietly eating cake.
We then went swimming at the pool. It was nice to relax a minute, but I was sad not being able to spend time with my husband on my birthday!
I decided I needed a break so I asked my oldest if he could watch them for awhile and I went for a walk ALONE! That was the highlight of my day so far, being ALONE! Now if anyone knows me well, they know I don't really like being by myself very much, so for it to come to this made me sad! I picked up dinner for the boys while I was out, so that the boys didnt have to have sandwiches for dinner.
Got back and got ready to go to dinner with my husband. I felt pretty in my new outfit I found at the thrift store. I guess I was hoping my husband would say something like "you look beautiful" or "wow, you look amazing", but it was again just a quiet walk to dinner. I live in a romantic world in my head and sometimes forget that it doesn't work that way all the time in real life. While I was getting ready the boys were getting rowdy and as much as I was trying to get them to calm down, they weren't so we got an embarassing call from the front desk asking us to keep the noise down. That is the first time in all my times of staying in a hotel that has happened, what a great birthday present that was....NOT!
We went to dinner. I didn't know anyone that we were sitting with. We watched entertainment that was ok, but not necessarily the way I would want to spend my birthday. Again, I was sad.

We got back and the best part of my day is that my son gave me a painting he did for my birthday!
It makes me feel so blessed to have a son like him. I have spent almost half my life with him now and I am honored to be called his mom. One of my other sons were really sensitive to me today too. The other 2 boys kinda live in their own world, oblivious to whats going on around them half the time.
So the night ended up watching more entertainment, again, not necessarily the way I would want to spend my birthday!
It ended with me going to bed by myself feeling sad and alone on what I had hoped to be one of my best and memorable birthdays. It will be memorable, but not in the way I was hoping.

So now, I am letting this day go and moving forward. One of my goals this year was to blog my feelings instead of eating badly so now I have done that! This day is done!This is just one bad day out of 365 days of being 40. I feel like my 40's are going to be amazing years of great things.

Now to finish my Birthday weekend! Let's see what Saturday has in store!


THE REST OF MY WEEKEND:
I am happy to say that the rest of the weekend went a little better.....
Saturday the boys and I went for a run....that felt good and there was even minimal complaining from the boys. I wanted to go a lot farther than the boys went but I wasn't going to push my luck. Then we went to the carousel that they have at the riverfront in Salem. I haven't ridden on a carousel in a long time. We decided to look in the gift shop and in the back was a craft room and one of the boys made a paper craft owl. We saw wonderful carvings that people are working on of another carousel horse, a carousel elephant and a frog.
We headed back to the hotel and decided to go swimming, well the kids went swimming, I enjoyed the hot tub.
I decided that night that I would go and really try to see what my husband was a part of and ended up enjoying the entertainment, got to meet some nice people and I really enjoyed spending time with my husband.

1 comment:

  1. I hope Saturday was wonderful, and I'm sure you were gorgeous in your outfit! Isn't that the worst - when you get all dressed up and noone notices? Bummer your birthday wasn't the best... I GET THAT FEELING about being embarrassed to be "that family" - you know I do!

    Miss you and can't wait to run with you again.

    ReplyDelete